Top 12 ways to make exercising a habit, a passion.
1) Do exercise you like. Dance, swim, walk, play tennis… It doesn’t matter as long as you move. If you don’t like exercising then play sports where you have to score a goal, win a game, create teams.
2) Make sure you exercise for the good reasons : Focus on the pleasurable sensations you get from physical effort and not on parameters like the number of calories you have burned.
You will feel a sense of well-being and be more relaxed. See it as an opportunity to listen to music. Notice how you sleep better and how you are more alert.You will become less anxious. You will feel great after that shower…
3) Start slowly. Don’t start with 4 sessions a week. Be realistic. One step at a time.
4) Set yourself specific and realistic goals. If for example you are exhausted after climbing three flights of stairs, you need to be able to climb them without feeling tired before you attempt anything more strenuous.
5) It’s a good idea to take up a sport with another person, someone you find motivating and who shares your aims.
6) Plan the times for your sports sessions into your weekly schedule. Be specific. Choose the morning if you can. You will get the day off to a good start!
7) Don’t make excuses such as telling yourself you are too tired! After exercising you will feel energized and you’ll sleep better after.
8.) Make a playlist of motivating music. It can be anything from Rocky Balboa to House! But make sure it has a good beat! You can also use your music playlist as a way of tracking the length of time you are able to perform an exercise.
9) Choose a nice and comfortable sportswear. Don’t hesitate to invest as you will feel good and perhaps even more motivated.
10) Surround yourself with people who have a healthy lifestyle. If not set yourself the task of becoming a reference, an inspiration for your friends.
11) Have a medium/long-term goal that is challenging for you. You could aim at doing a half-marathon or even a full one or perhaps The Tour de l’Île de Montréal…Choose a date.
12) Don`t think too much. It’s too hot, I have chores to do, tomorrow I’ll perhaps finish work earlier, I’m not good enough….. Just make getting the exercise you need a habit like brushing your teeth!
Do not hesitate if you have other suggestions